Keep an Eagle Eye out for these vintage pieces of Patriotic Americana that commemorate the Spanish American War.
Learning about our country by a quick look at some vintage (circa early 1900's) patriotic/ historical/ American-history-themed milk glass figural covered dishes /product jars / candy container / mustard jars.
- The top Eagle dish has red glass eyes
- It was made by Westmoreland Glass.
- They made it in other colors too, and you can see in the photo of the blue dish, below, that there are eaglets on the other side.
- An American Eagle with 3 eggs
- the base/bowl is embossed THE AMERICAN HEN (so it is also a ''hen on a nest'')
- the eggs are embossed Porto Rico, Cuba, Phillipines (referencing the Spanish-American War)
- Attributed to the Flaccus Co., with a patent date of 1898.
- A history lesson about the Prelude to the Spanish American War.
- Also by Flaccus.
- Read about Admiral Dewey's part in the Spanish American War
UNCLE SAM ON THE MERRIMACK
- There was a famous Civil War battle between the Merrimack and the Monitor
- this piece is also attributed to the FLACCUS Co., as a mustard product jar.
- To Read: an interesting article about milk glass covered dishes/jars.
- To See: pix of an an amazing collection of Flaccus items.
- To Visit: the National Milk Glass Collectors Society website.
- More Info: on the COLLECTORS WEEKLY website's great page about MILK GLASS -- and tracks current and completed ebay listings -- if you collect milk glass, this site is a must for you.