Evolutionary Links in Lima's Food Chain
This vintage soda pop can came up in my daily Lima Ohio ebay search, and caught me by surprise. As a non-native Liman (?), there are/were many local businesses that I am unaware of.
This Scot Lad soda pop can has Lima, Ohio on it. So of course that meant I had to look into the company.
- Scot Lad Foods was a large grocery firm out of Lansing, Illinois, formed in 1961 when HS Davies and Meadowmoor Dairy merged. HS Davies supplied grocery products to Lima's Pangles Grocery stores. [Source]
- Scot Lad bought Lima's Pangles Grocery business in 1963, establishing Scot Lad's Lima distribution center (in the Pangles Lima warehouse), hence this can.
- Roundy's bought Scot Lad Foods in 1984, changing the name of the Lima distribution center.
- The Pangles Grocery stores then became Ray's, named after the founder's son.
- The Ray's stores were sold to Chief Supermarkets, a Defiance, Ohio company (In 2013).
- In 2005 Roundy's sold their Lima location to Nash Finch, which has now merged with Spartan [SpartanNash].
Note: These items are part of my ''Collecting Lima Virtual Museum''. They are not for sale.
If/when I find more information on these items, I will add it to the post.
Read the Introduction to my ''Collecting Lima'' Virtual Museum Project, all about my Lima Ohio Bottles, Advertising, Antiques collection.
Ms. Dow Antiques Blog 'Tique Talk is published by msdowantiques.com
Sign up for my free newsletter!