In 1902, The Arcade Department Store Company was formed through a merger of four of New Bremen's oldest mercantile houses.
Firms represented in the merger were:
- Speckman & Nieter, dry goods and groceries, started by Fred Speckman Sr. and F. H. L. Nieter in 1852.
- Faehl & Nieter's Furniture Store, owned by August Faehl and Ferd Nieter.
- Rabe's Cheap Store, Theo. Rabe owner.
- Wiemeyer's Cash Clothing Store, Fred Wiemeyer owner.
- In 1933 the officers of The Arcade Department Store Company are A. H. Rabe, president and manager; George Thiesing Sr., vice president; Leo Huenke, secretary and Gustave Greiwe, treasurer.
The Arcade buildings are now the corporate headquarters for Crown Equipment. [Check out Street view / google maps]
Read more New Bremen history in the the New Bremen Centennial Book - 1933 and here, New Bremen Tour – Bremenfest 2008.
Ms. Dow Antiques Blog 'Tique Talk is published by msdowantiques.com
Sign up for my free newsletter!