- A real photo postcard [RPPC] picturing the carousel at Lima's Hover Park, 1908
- "Thursday evening a merry bunch of the Lima telephone operators [went to] Hover Park for an evening's outing. After a good and bounteous supper, the roller coaster, merry-go-round and dancing, besides several contests, afforded plenty of amusement and all had a lovely time." -- The Lima News September 5, 1908 - http://www.newspapers.com/
- Hover Park Lake circa 1908
- Photo from Ohio's Amusement Parks in Vintage Postcards - By David W. Francis, Diane DeMali Francis -- http://bit.ly/1hKDxkW
- Available here from Arcadia Publishing. They put out a wonderful line of books about local history, illustrated with vintage postcards.
Click the photos to enlarge.
A little Hover Park history:
Fun at Hover Park: The amusement park opened in 1908 and maintained a roller coaster, dancing pavilion, roller rink, lake for boating, auditorium and concessions.
And at the turn of the century, area residents flocked to that summertime oasis for the recreational time of their life.
The park was actually a spot in Lima's south side that had originally been owned by the Hover family. A portion of the garden-spot included a lake, surrounded by tall trees and beautiful grounds. By 1890, the family had decided to open it up to the community.
A notice in the August 1894 newspaper described the park as "situated within a mile of the center of the city and contains about 20 acres, of which five or more is taken up by a winding lake, ranging from five to 10 feet in depth, its basin speckled by pretty islands and its shores gently sloping to the water's edge.
It's still a park today, but without the rides. http://www.cityhall.lima.oh.us/Facilities/Facility/Details/8
Note: These items are part of my ''Collecting Lima Virtual Museum''. They are not for sale.
If/when I find more information on these items, I will add it to the post.
Read the Introduction to Collecting Lima Virtual Museum Project ~ My Lima Ohio Bottles, Advertising, Antiques
Ms. Dow Antiques Blog 'Tique Talk is published by msdowantiques.com
Sign up for my free newsletter!