Who is Jefferson R. Burdick? He is considered the father of baseball card collecting. He donated his 30,000 baseball cards to the Metropolitan Museum of art. Only a small part of Burdick’s collection is regularly on display, but they have a special exhibition going on right now.
Metropolitan Museum Baseball Card Collection links:
- Read the NY Times article about the Burdick collection (HT to the Antique Trader for tweeting this link)
- See Breaking the Color Barrier in Major League Baseball -- current Met exhibit: January 18–June 17, 2012
- Watch the panel discussion video on the HISTORY OF BASEBALL
- Want to know more about Burdick, and his collection?
- Mark Lamster's article about Burdick: The Collector
- Here's another must-read article by George Vrechek: The Greatest Collection That You Will Never See
- Then you can read George's detailed diary of actually getting into the private research viewing room and seeing/touching some of Burdick's baseball card collection albums. Link: BURDICK REVISITED
- Check out OLDBASEBALL.com
Ms. Dow Antiques Blog 'Tique Talk is published by msdowantiques.com